Sunday, January 4, 2009

Saying Goodbye

Today was an emotional day. It is the best of times. It is the worst of times. The moments I have had with my mother these past few weeks have been some of the best of my life. But it is so difficult to say goodbye. Short of Divine intervention there will be a day very soon where my mom is no longer responsive to words. Soon after that she will pass on to be with Jesus.

Today was a day of potential goodbyes.

A very dear and special relative of my mother stopped by this morning. Circumstances were taking her away from my mother for a few days and she wanted to make sure she said goodbye. The exchange between these two women was precious. After a lifetime of memories together they made a plan to see each other in heaven. My mom's relative told my mother to expect her in heaven, she believes in Jesus. My mother responded by encouraging her to pursue two things in the years ahead. (1) Read about Jesus in the bible. Get to know Him. And (2) Find a little group of women to meet with often to find encouragement and support in life and in Jesus.

These are words to live by and are consistent with my mother's way of living.

My mother also said goodbye to my eldest daughter, Camille, today. Camille turns 4 on January 12th. They might see each other tomorrow, but we just don't know. My oldest daughter has a very special connection with her grandmother. They love to play together. Hide and seek. Coloring. Reading stories. Talking. All are things that they take great joy in when together. My mom has been an amazing grandmother to both of my girls. I am thankful for their relationship.

Before getting time with Camille my mother told me that being a grandmother is one of the greatest highlights of her life. "There is nothing quite like your first grandchild, there is just something special about it."

Camille, like her grandmother, has a very tender and caring heart. She crawled up on her grandmother's lap today, gave her a big hug and handed her a torn and ragged blanket, her most prized possession on earth. She gave it to her Grandmother to sleep with and to be comforted by. Needless to say, my mother burst into tears and, with a smile, told my daughter that sometimes you can make someone so happy that they can do nothing but cry. They hugged each other and after pictures, and time with Anna, Camille asked if she could help grandma go back to sleep by laying down with her. This she did. I love children. They are so genuine and without pretense.

Many of us have been preconditioned to hide our emotions or to have a stiff upper lip. The exchange today between my mother's relative and with Camille reminded me, once again, that the most valuable things in life are invisible. They are rooted in the relationships that we have with one another. There is no greater joy (or pain) that can be felt that when in relationship with another. Death brings both of these feelings in spades.

Thanks to all of you for loving my mother through the years. You have helped make her a very rich person indeed.

Steve

It's hard to follow up such a beautiful expression of Corrines day and the truth written in Steve's words with the practical aspect of Corrine's physical death. There is sometimes shame in having to be reliant on someone else to care for you and being physically unwell. Often someone's health is talked about in vague terms. I am trying to be sensitive, but I also want to be completly honest.

Corrine has not been eating for quite some time and is only drinking approximately 1.5 cups/ day. Her body is in the process of shutting down and dehydration is a natural part of the process. Today Corrine decided on a cathater to help eliminate the possibility of accidents. It also has the added bonus that she won't be forced out of bed. Corrine is getting used to it, but still finds it a nousance. Corrine's breathing will continue to become slower and may become labored. We will be prepared to give her oxygen starting tomorrow if it will help her to be more comfortable.

-Angela

6 comments:

  1. I keep thinking of Aunt Corrine's question of why it is taking so long for her to be welcomed into the arms of Jesus. I don't know what God is doing in her heart, but I know that everyday I learn something more as I read the blog and pray for her and the family. So as God has used her so many times in my life, He continues to use her while on her journey Home. Love you all. Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corrine, Happy birthday! I hope you are surrounded by those you love today and your pain is tolerable. May you be filled with an extra dose of God's love, grace and peace today. Love, Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corrine,
    Happy Birthday! Today, Derrill and I wish you the very best!
    Much love!
    Liz & Derrill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear friends: Please tell Corrine Happy Birthday for us. She soon will have better than a birthday party, she will have a feast with Jesus!. Thank you all so much for the daily updates. This is a first for me to experience this and we appreciate it so much. You're in our thoughts and prayers
    Love Russ and Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts, prayers and tears have been with you all. I have appreciated the time you have taken to update those of us who live far away. We wish we could be there to hug you in person and to tell you that we love you and care...but this will have to do. I praise the Lord that I know HE IS the GREAT Comforter..and he will be there with you. Love....Karen Doenges

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please tell Corrine that this blog, so beautifully written by her children, has been so healing to me (while being terrifying at first). I have suffered panic attacks which felt like a heart attack whenever I was faced with death around me. Right now I some of my best friends have death in their families and some other close friends have dealt with it recently. I have been following this blog faithfully and praying fervently, and I wanted Corrinne to know that her faith and courage is not only inspiring to me but also healing. Thank you for the sweet and honest words dealing with hard and real feelings. I will pray for her precious grandchildren also, but Corrinne has to know what a tremendous example she is setting for them during this time. Love and prayers to all of you!
    Jeni

    ReplyDelete

Please share anything that comes to mind. Any notes to Corrine are shared with her daily.