Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Corrine's Happy Birthday




Corrine reached her 68th birthday yesterday and through her pain found much to celebrate. She rehashed memories with old friends and family and her laughter filled the room once again. Corrine held her hands to her head, caressing her hair and smiling like a model when I teased her about having a bad hair day.

As for me, my brother took the brunt of my difficult morning. Lack of sleep and constant juggling had put me over the edge, so I spent the afternoon on 'cake therapy.' Corrine is very creative and over the years has used that gift to bless many people. Every birthday Mom used to lovingly create cakes for us. When we were old enough, she would lets us 'help.' We would gladly lick the beaters and carefully place candy.
Corrine is a great teacher, patient, kind, and encouraging. When I was about 13 my mom and sister Karla helped me to bake a cake for my dad. There was a figurine standing at the edge of a lake, fishing. Yesterday, I baked a cake for my mother. It was a 'train cake' with nine seprate cars. As I crafted doors from fruit roll-ups, and cargo from candy I thought about how much love a bit of frosting can hold.
The grand-kids enthusiastically made candy mountains for the train to go around. They licked their fingers as they plunged gummy worms in snow made of marsh-mellows. Joy abounded when they presented grandma with her cake and she praised their works of art and mine. Pictures were taken with genuine smiles as the candles were blown out.
My mom has always been generous with her compliments. Even now, as Corrine lays, unable to rise from her bed with out being held, she is doling out praise and love. Through her encouraging words, I am gaining confidence. God has given each of us unique gifts and we often only see them reflected in anothers eyes.

Corrine had a good nights sleep, resting well without any extra pain medication. She woke up this morning with her usual question "Why is this taking so long?"
She paused before adding, "It's all very small, minute, when you compare it to all the good."
"What is?" I asked.
"Suffering" she said, her hands forming quotation marks. "is just for a minute, but God is good, He gives us so many good things."
I agree. After all, He gave us Corrine!

Corrine is resting well and we have a lot to celebrate! Her pain is being managed and she has not needed any oxygen. Corrine is now used to the cathater so it doesn't bother her any more. Miraculously, swallowing has become easier and she can drink with out nearly the pain in her throat. When Corrine asked about the nurse today she said with a smile, "I'd like to get clean, but I don't want a car wash!" She thought for a moment "Not a car wash, you know what I mean."

Don and Corrine's 13th wedding anniversary is today. Corrine is blessed to have a husband like Don to care for her. Don, too is an inspiration to us as he walks with Corrine couragously, even with a broken heart.

- Angela

3 comments:

  1. Corrine and Don,

    Happy Anniversary! My prayer for you today is that you will be able to share many memories of your time together. Life is so much sweeter when it is shared with one you love.

    Love, Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela,

    You will be in my prayers today that God would calm your spirit, give you grace for today and supply you with the energy and resolve needed for whatever today holds. Love, Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are continue to hold you all in our pryaers. An Anniversary is so very important - God has blessed you with an incrediable husband as Don. You both are a blessing to so many and we cherish the time we have had with both of you. We Love you lots - Sunny and Tom

    ReplyDelete

Please share anything that comes to mind. Any notes to Corrine are shared with her daily.